5.18.2011

Creaking Doors

I awoke this morning to the distinct sound of a door creaking.  Seeing my husband still dreaming beside me, I was instantly alert.  “What was that?” I asked myself.  

Maybe it was one of the cats.  Maybe my dream was seeping over into reality.  Or maybe, just maybe it was something sneaking around in the house while we were sleeping.  

House Taken Over

Ever since I read “House Taken Over” by Cortazar, I have been creeped out about things being in the house with me.  The story is about a brother and sister who live in their family home.  They have to lock off parts of the house because something, I repeat, something keeps taking over the rooms. 

Haven’t heard of Julio Cortazar?  That’s a shame.  He is a famous Latin American sci fi and fantasy writer.  Blow-Up and Other Stories is a collection of his short stories that have been translated into English.  “House Taken Over” is in this.   


These sci fi/fantasy stories aren’t as widely known in the English speaking world, but that should be remedied.  His stories are wonderful and very original.  

They have always reminded me of The Twilight Zone.  In fact, some of the stories could easily be scripts for episodes of the show.  (You can read more about Cortazar’s similarity to The Twilight Zone if you click this spot.)
Hey, Ma! Look what I puked up!

Some of the other stories in the book are about a man who vomits bunnies and a girl who goes to stay at a house where a tiger roams free.  

Cortazar and his stories have piqued your interest now haven’t they?  Just read the book.  Then you can find out about the bunnies.                                             


P.S.  Netflix has The Twilight Zone available for instant streaming now.  There has been a Twilight Zone marathon running at my house.  Maybe that’s what attracted the things that were sneaking around this morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment